Sunday, September 2, 2018

Aria


              The most interesting thing about “Aria,” is how Rodriguez uses stories of his own upbringing and early education to justify his stance on a political policy. Rodriguez subverted my expectation by coming out against bilingual education, despite being a bilingual student himself. His argument is not one of anger or disdain, however, he only tries to use logic and his own experience to explain why he disagrees with the policy.
              Although I am unable to identify with anyone of the Rodriguez family, I can share a childhood experience with Richard’s friend who overheard Richard’s mother talking to him. My neighbors are Turkish immigrants, with their children being first-generation Americans. I can relate to the partial confusion and awe that Rodriguez’s friend felt in observing his friend’s ability to derive meaning from what seems to the unknowing ear as gibberish. The inquisitive remark for translation is one I’ve also had myself.
              All children, myself included, face some sort of minute culture-shock when transitioning from their home-life to their primary school education. Only a few comparatively must overcome the language barrier that Rodriguez did, but there is a barrier for entry for everyone nonetheless. I find it difficult now to place exactly what experiences I had as a child of that age, but I could only imagine that my experiences during that time played a significant role into the kind of person that I am now.

No comments:

Post a Comment